The Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health at the University of Manchester offers a wide range of PhD opportunities for outstanding candidates. We have a broad range of projects in world-leading research groups and labs, with access to facilities, training and support through our Doctoral Academy to give our students the best start to a career in research and beyond.
With a breadth of research activity that’s unrivalled in the UK, we work across disciplines and beyond the University, connecting the brightest minds to find innovative solutions to the world’s greatest challenges. The importance and support we give to postgraduate research are key reasons Manchester has the impact it has. Our postgraduate researchers contribute to society through innovative discoveries and new understandings.
Our training environments include laboratories, social care, public health and clinical settings, and benefit from links with our partnering NHS trusts, industry and other institutions.
Our key subject areas include:
• Biological sciences
• Biomedical sciences
• Cancer sciences
• Nursing, midwifery and social work
• Optometry and ophthalmology
PhD programme with integrated teaching certificate
International students also have the opportunity to undertake our unique PhD programme with integrated teaching certificate in which you can gain a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning and specialist training alongside your research.
Why choose this programme?
• Develop your teaching skills and gain a Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education.
• Enhance your critical thinking and research skills through taught courses.
• Access support to develop your academic writing.
• Broaden your research techniques and gain transferable skills.
• Undertake courses in research methods in discipline-related topics.
• Learn in an interdisciplinary environment.
• Opportunity to conduct world-class research.
If you’re planning a career in higher education teaching or lecturing, this PhD gives you a competitive edge by providing you with both practical and theoretical skills in teaching and assessment in a variety of settings.