We’re one of the oldest, largest and friendliest schools of Psychology at any UK university and have an excellent reputation for both our teaching and research. Here are just a few reasons why you should consider studying with us:
• Top 15 for Research Quality – Complete University Guide 2018
• In the postgraduate taught experience survey 2017 (PTES) Psychology scored 91% for Overall Student Satisfaction and 92% for Quality of the Teaching & Learning
• 8th for Course Satisfaction – Guardian Good University Guide 2018
• Top 15 for Graduate Prospects – Complete University Guide 2018
• 89% of research output either world leading or internationally excellent and 17th overall - REF 2014
• There are a large number of specialist research labs including a 3T MRI scanner, TMS Labs, ECG facilities and a Brain anatomy laboratory.
• Bangor University is the only university in Wales to be awarded Gold in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework
The School also boasts a number of prestigious research centres, including the Wolfson Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience, the Bangor Imaging Unit and the Centre for Experimental Consumer Psychology, which, as well as being in the vanguard of academic research in these fields, offer students unique opportunities for project work covering important theoretical and practical elements. The School has a thriving postgraduate community of over 200 masters and roughly 60 PhD students.
The School has a vibrant masters community and offers masters including:
MSc Applied Behaviour Analysis
MSc Clinical and Health Psychology
MSc/MA Consumer Psychology with Business
MSc Mindfulness-Based Approaches
MSc Positive Behavior Support
MSc Principles of Clinical Neuropsychology
MSc Psychological Research
The School of Psychology is a stimulating environment to pursue research and doctoral studies and a PhD by Research is available at the School of Psychology as well as the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology and an MRes in Psychology.
The School is recognised by the UK Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) for its postgraduate training and offers its own PhD student fellowships (1+3 years) which are advertised as they become available. There are competitive bursaries available for UK and international masters students with a 1st Class Degree and there are also course specific scholarships available. We can also help you apply for funding from other government and industry sources. Please see our website
Bangor is situated on the North Wales coast between the mountains of Snowdonia and the sea, making it one of the most attractive university cities in the UK. Some of its highlights include:
• A fantastic quality of life set between the mountains and the sea offering a wealth of outdoor activities not to mention a number of UNESCO World Heritage sites nearby.
• Bangor’s Clubs & Societies ranked No.1 (WhatUni? 2017) and accommodation was ranked No.1 by WhatUni? In 2016
• Bangor is easily accessible with Liverpool and Manchester within 90 minutes drive. London is just over 3 hours away by train whereas Ireland can be reached from the nearby Holyhead Ferry terminal in less than 2 hours.
• According to The Independent's A-Z of Universities and Higher Education Colleges, Bangor is "one of the cheapest places in Britain" to be a student.
Whatever area of psychology you are looking to study at PG level the best way of finding our more and gaining an insight into life at Bangor University's School of Psychology is to visit us. We run a PGT Open Day where you can chat to current students and staff about our courses, tour our facilities and find out about research at the School and can accommodate private visits throughout the year.
Bangor Psychology offers its students a great opportunity to study in a top-rated research department alongside internationally renowned academics in one of the most beautiful parts of the UK. Contact us and find out more.
Think Psychology Think Bangor